6. GEC Z9538

Spotted on the 5th January 2005 on Hedingham Way, Mickleover. I was walking along the road, as you do, when I noticed that one bracket was missing its lantern. I then noticed that part of the canopy was still attached, but the rest of the lantern had fallen into the grass behind the column. One quick call to the Council, and a few minutes later, a bucket van turned up - manned by Amrik, one of the electricians. I introduced myself, and then helped him to pick up the remains of the smashed lantern. He then isolated the column, and went up to fit a replacement lantern - a Thorn Beta 2. The Monostar 1000 photocell from the Z9538 was undamaged, and so it was re-used in the Beta 2.

What I think happened: The column is likely to have been struck by a vehicle that entered a skid at this portion of the road; perhaps due to the slight crest and bend on the road at this location. Given that the column remained upright, and showed no signs of being hit, the vehicle was probably travelling at a fairly low speed, but still one that was sufficient to cause the lantern to break away from the bracket.


Pictures:

The lantern-less column looked rather forlorn on the dull January morning.

 

I took a picture of the number, purely so I could remember it for future reference. Notice the remains of the lantern in the background.

 

A close-up of the bracket, showing the exposed wires. The bowl clip is still attached.

 

The lantern's GRP canopy had survived relatively well in the fall, though the lamp had been broken and the lampholder smashed. I considered trying to save the control gear, hoping that it would have an original GEC Z1616 ballast, but I then peered into the gear tray, and noticed that it was a modern replacement ballast, and so, didn't bother.

 

The bowl itself wasn't too badly damaged - just a small section at the end, where the clip had been was damaged. Polycarbonate really is a tough plastic - just a shame that it goes yellow!

 

Amrik positioned the van in order that the bucket was just in front of the column. I'm pleased to see that the transfers that I saw being applied during my Work Experience in 2003 are still in good condition!

 

He then went up to remove what was left of the canopy from the bracket.

 

The fact that the rear part of the lantern had remained resolutely attached to the bracket suggested that the grub screws holding it secure had rusted solid - not even the force of a vehicular collision was sufficient to loosen them! The only way that this was going anywhere was with some "gentle persuasion" from a hammer.

 

The existing wiring was suitable for re-use, and was pulled into the lantern. Amrik then proceeded to secure the lantern to the bracket.

 

Once the lantern was wired up, the gear tray was fastened in place.

 

The lamp, photocell and bowl were then fitted, and the fuse was put back into the cut-out. The cell set as normal, and after a quick check to make sure that it came back on, Amrik lowered the bucket down.

 

The lantern after having the bowl secured.

 

Work completed, Amrik filled in the job sheet, and headed off down the road.

     

I checked that the Beta 2 was working that evening and it certainly was!

The column was removed on Saturday, 2nd October 2010, following a relighting of Hedingham Way as part of the Derby Street Lighting PFI. The Beta 2 was therefore installed for 299 weeks, three days; 2096 days or 50,304 hours (and I counted every single one of them).

< Previous | Next >


BACK TO DAMAGED/VANDALISED LANTERNS PAGE

BACK TO INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION

© 2002 - English Street Lights Online