Revo C14408T Restoration

I had the bracket and control box rethreaded on the 27th February 2004. A sleeve was welded onto the bracket with the żBSP thread, in order that it fitted into the thread of the box. This is the standard size for brackets. New bolts were also fitted, as the previous ones had become jammed in the spigot.

This close up of the sleeve shows that although it is wider than the existing bracket, it does not look too out-of-place. When painted, it should hardly show at all.

The bracket and box returned from being sandblasted on Wednesday, 3rd March 2004. Actually, only the bracket was sandblasted. The box was in fact bead blasted, due to it being aluminium. This blasting confirmed that the pin hinges and securing threads are brass due to their yellow colour. The inside of the box was not blasted, but still managed to trap quite a bit of the grit, meaning that the box had to be shaken until it all spilled out. On the top entry section of the bracket, small letters have been revealed; presumably these are some kind of measurements.

Soon after, the box and bracket were painted. I fitted them both to my mini column, and screwed the lantern into place for this picture. The lantern is now completely level internally, although the swan neck has a slight age bend in it, so everything looks tilted. The lantern will be repainted (silver) at some stage, after the photocell hole has been filled in.

Claire managed to find another bowl that wasn't yellowed like the existing one, so this will be fitted once I have trimmed the edge down, in order that it will fit.

I decided to make sure that the lantern actually worked, so I wired and powered it up, and fortunately, it did indeed work.

 

Some Nitromors was applied to the canopy to remove the old paint runs, but after these were removed, the shapes of where they had been were still there - since the paint had been applied when the lantern was brand new, the areas in which they had covered had been kept clean. Over the years, dirt has settled on the rest of the canopy, and so once the paint had all been removed, there were a number of clean spots in between the dirt. These were obviously very noticeable, so I decided to try to clean the entire canopy. Using a Brillo Pad and a lot of elbow grease, I managed to remove almost all of the dirt. The photograph on the left shows a 'before' view, and the photograph on the right shows an 'after' view - a definite improvement.

The hole was filled in, however the filler was a slightly different colour to the canopy, and so I decided that a repaint would be advisable.

On Tuesday, 15th February 2005 I carried out a number of different tasks on the lantern and bracket. Firstly, the canopy was indeed repainted, and so the filled-in hole is much harder to notice now. I also cut the replacement bowl to size and then repainted the bracket and box. I went for my standard livery of black metalwork with golden embellishments. (I was intending to paint the gold directly onto the blue and leave the painting at that, but both colours did not support each other when I tried this, so the decision was taken to repaint the bracket to a colour that did go with the gold.) The drip marks on the canopy are not paint runs by the way, but are the result of leaving the canopy outside in the rain!

Compared to the ESLA's bracket, this one seemed to have fewer embellishments that could be painted gold but I decided that the spigot cap, AC Ford lettering, and the ring on the top entry adaptor might be worth highlighting.

| Preliminary Photographs |


BACK TO LANTERNS PAGE

BACK TO INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION

© 2002 - English Street Lights Online