167. Fishpond Lane, Egginton Installed in a grass verge a short distance from the Main Street / Church Road junction in this often-misspelled village is a Mallatite 5 m tubular steel column supporting a WRTL Libra 36 Watt PL-L lantern that operates on a part-night basis, as evidenced by the Zodion SS9-DLS photocell that is fitted. A 2013 replacement for a Stanton 1805 concrete column, this text is something of a red herring, as immediately behind the modern column is a wall bracket fitted with a two-way ESLA lantern, which is the real 'Survivor' being discussed on this page! Although still working (albeit in manual operation from the house to which it is attached), the lantern is in poor condition, with many of the facetted mirrors either being broken, damaged through moisture ingress, or simply missing completely, and the original brass lampholder having been replaced with a porcelain lampholder that has caused the lamp to hang some considerable distance from the lantern.
Old and new blends so seamlessly (well, almost) in this photograph.
Given that the Libra only operates until midnight, the ESLA could be the sole external lighting unit in this area if left on after this time - not that its output would be particularly impressive!
The wall bracket is unusual in that it is cranked, in order to compensate for a roof overhang.
The poor state of the facetted reflectors is revealed here. The asymmetrical appearance of the two 'wings' suggests that this lantern was intended for use on slightly curved sections of road, where the column would be positioned on the outside of the curve.
< Previous | Next >
BACK TO SURVIVORS PAGE
BACK TO INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION
© 2002 - English Street Lights Online