32c. St John the Baptist Church, Buxton Road, Ashbourne Located at the top of some steps leading to the church's main entrance stand two relatively short cast iron plinth columns that are both topped with a Falks Beaufort utilitarian lantern. The lanterns are fitted with shallow, fully enclosed bowls - another variant of the Beaufort post-top range. Of course, the lanterns are likely to be somewhat newer than the ironwork to which they are placed upon, although their 1950s' styling provides a clue as to when the previous (and possibly original to when the church opened in 1871) lanterns were replaced. Up until relatively recently, the plinth columns were painted a lighter colour - possibly a mint green, cream or white. They were then painted black, as was the metalwork of both lanterns. The lanterns are likely to be fitted with everyday household lamps - there being no space to accommodate discharge lamp control gear.
A welcoming open gate and door greet any visitors to the church.
The two plinths (and their lanterns) are positioned prominently at the top of the steps.
The left-hand lantern is secured to the plinth with four bolts.
The right-hand lantern appears to be secured with internal grub screws.
< Previous | Next >
BACK TO SURVIVORS PAGE
BACK TO INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION
© 2002 - English Street Lights Online