182. Wold Court, Hawarden, Deeside. Situated just off The Hwy (the B5125), is a GEC concrete column supporting a very rare British Thomson-Houston Amber lantern. Given that BTH ceased to exist after 1959, this lantern must have been (at least) 60 years old when photographed in May 2019. Although designed for 60 Watt SO/H lamps, in more recent years, the lantern would have run a 35 Watt SOX lamp instead, although by the time that it was photographed, it may have been converted to run an LED retro-fit lamp; the aged bowl is too clouded to be able to discern the current lamp fitted.
A small hole exists in the front of the Perspex bowl, allowing dirt to form in the bottom of the bowl.
A distinctive feature of the BTH Amber (in comparison to later AEI models) are the twin copper / brass bowl fixing clips. The presence of a Royce Thompson two-part photocell detector on the lantern's canopy suggests that the lamp control gear may be situated in the column base.
The installation is likely to be original to when the road was constructed.
This close-up of the lantern from the front reveals that it is installed at a slight angle on its top-entry bracket.
< Previous | Next >
BACK TO SURVIVORS PAGE
BACK TO INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION
© 2002 - English Street Lights Online