WRTL 2600

Lantern acquired in March 2005.

This lantern came from a car park at Derby's Markeaton Park, and I received it on Thursday, 3rd March 2005. It was removed because the car park was to be re-lit with white light - in the form of 125 W mercury lamps in Beta 79s. As the lantern's canopy is of GRP construction, it was beginning to shed its fibres, which was probably why the lanterns were replaced, rather than have the lamps changed to CDM-TT or similar. These lanterns are not common in the Derby area and are really only used in parks - however a quick hop over the border to Staffordshire, and the situation is very different - there are plenty of 2600s in use all over that County!

This isn't the 2600 that went into my collection, but it does show how my 2600 would have looked when in use. This example is in the car park from which my Disano Sella 1 lantern came. The lanterns were all mounted post-top in both car parks, but side-entry versions are available.


My 2600:

The blackening on the canopy is not due to the fibreglass wearing out, but is actually because the lantern was situated under trees, which have left deposits on the canopy over the years.

From above, the exposed fibres on the canopy can be seen, especially to the left of the cell.

The bowl has a number of different refractor patterns moulded into it to maximise light output. I was surprised that the post-top adaptor was hexagonal but this does mean that different column diameters could fit the one adaptor and be tightened.

Like the XGS 103, the 2600 can accommodate a variety of lamps and gear, and so the gear tray is riddled with screw holes for the positioning of all types of gear.

Once opened, the bowl stays attached to one side of the lantern for easy reinstatement after work has been carried out. It is very clean internally due to the lantern's IP65 rating - although there are a few spiders inside as the 1 mm˛ flexible cable that was used to power the lantern was not thick enough for the internal sealing gland to tighten on it and so such creatures managed to creep in.

The gear tray is also hinged. The ignitor is dated as being from June 1998 and the canopy is date-stamped to being from January 1998. I therefore estimate that the lantern was probably installed in late 1998 to early 1999. The tapping on the ballast can be altered in order to allow for a 50 W lamp to be fitted, rather than a 70 W lamp, as is the current arrangement.

I decided then to get to work on the lantern straight away, and so everything was removed from it. This was a much easier task than I had expected - it only took a few minutes to strip the lantern down into individual pieces. The object above the post top adaptor is the side entry plug - this just pushes into place on the bracket entry.

I cleaned the various pieces but the black marks on the canopy didn't really disappear, so I repainted it before rewiring and powering the lantern up. The NEMA socket was wired out at the same time.

After a bit of a sputtery warm-up, the arc stabilised and quickly went the familiar colour of a SON lamp.

The working lamp can be glimpsed through one of the corners of the bowl. These are the only sections where the lamp can be properly seen due to the refractors.

This was an attempt to try to photograph the under-bowl refractors and how the light was distributed from them, but I was probably too close to the lantern and so they didn't really do much refracting!


The next two pictures show one of the Beta 79s that replaced the 2600s in the car park.

This column (DY 1997) is the only one under a tree (there are only two anyway!), so it is probably the one that originally held my 2600. Notice the addition of a small outreach bracket as well - this is because the Beta 79 can only be mounted side-entry.

Thorn Beta 4 | GEC Z9481


BACK TO LANTERNS PAGE

BACK TO INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION

© 2002 - English Street Lights Online