112C. Bletchley Park, Off Sherwood Drive, Bletchley, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire. Installed on the roadways around the former Second World War code-breaking centre are a number of Concrete Utilities 'Avenue 2D' lighting columns that are likely to date from around 1938, when the site was purchased for use by the Government Code and Cypher School, and Secret Intelligence Service. Examples near the entrance support 'Banstead' top-entry brackets too, which the remainder may have originally too, but nowadays, support 1980s' Thorn Gamma 6 post-top lanterns, which may have been fitted by the General Post Office and Civil Aviation Authority after the site was passed to them after the War.
Two truncated Stanton 10 columns are situated at the entrance to the complex. This type of column was introduced in the late 1950s, and so these would not have existed during Bletchley's wartime use.
The columns are fitted with 'Coolie-Con'-type reflector fittings attached to long steel top-entry brackets.
The point at which the column was cut down is unusual - I would have expected the new brackets to be attached to the original column spigots; perhaps the columns were showing signs of spalling at these points and so were cut down to a position below the cracks.
The reflector fittings may be modern replicas - none show any signs of corrosion to their metalwork, which would be unusual these days, given their age if they were original to the columns.
The Concrete Utilities columns start next.
The elegance of the installations is highlighted in the July sunlight.
A small LED floodlight is attached to this column.
An LED GLS lamp is visible within the lantern.
The column pictured above is seen on the right, while another column is situated in front of one of the period buildings constructed by the Ministry of Works that are common around the site.
The rear fin serves as a counterbalance for the rest of the bracket.
As several columns are installed in this area, it may always have served as a security checkpoint.
The triangular-based column contours are continued in the bracket.
The same installation, as viewed from the side.
The 'Banstead' bracket, from 1937, differs from the Arc 2 bracket (from 1941) in that the rear fin of the latter touches the column.
The Concrete Utilities logo and British Standard 'Kitemark' emblem are moulded into the front of the column. The inspection door uses the standard Concrete Utilities' "drop-latch" method for being secured.
Another installation of the same design.
The already-dim fitting would be made all the worse by having tree branches obscuring its output.
A number of the Gamma 6-topped columns exist near the Mansion that was on the site before it was purchased for wartime use.
This example features a wide canopy.
Another wide-canopied example is seen in the foreground here, with a narrow-canopied example visible in the background.
This column was one of the few on site to feature a rather severe-looking structural crack.
A close-up of the other column.
The Gamma 6's canopy and base casting are rather faded from the 30+ years that it has been installed here.
This wide-canopied example is situated alongside Block A, Naval Intelligence.
A disadvantage of the wider canopy is that the thin aluminium is susceptible to being bent out of shape, as has happened here.
A GEC Nightwatch 18 bulkhead "was" attached to the derelict Block D, dating from 1943 and used for producing Military Intelligence (work carried out in Hut 3 previously)...
...I say, "was"! The wall bracket attachment has worked loose under the weight of the bulkhead, with only the Mineral Insulated supply cable supporting the bulkhead these days.
The small roundabout on the access road is home to four vintage steel-framed traffic bollards.
Such is the age of these bollards that they pre-date the 'Keep Left' sign graphic; instead, this instruction is displayed as text - an indicator that the bollards were made prior to 1963, when a report by the the Government's Worboys Committee suggested the use of a more symbol-based signage system.
Ten reflective studs surround the Keep Left instruction.
A panel at the back of the bollard allows access to be gained when necessary.
"Gowshall Limited" is embossed on the panels, along with "G 58", which could be a product code, or some sort of date code.
The non-graphic panels on these bollards are white - later bollards would have yellow panels. All of the panels are glass.
A loose side panel in the above bollard allowed the insides of the bollard to be glimpsed - the original lighting unit (possibly, featuring a series of pygmy tungsten lamps) is missing, with two lamp-less pendant lampholders hanging from the frame.
< Previous | Next >
BACK TO SURVIVORS PAGE
BACK TO INDEX PAGE
CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION
© 2002 - English Street Lights Online