Station Rd Replacements

Work finally restarted on the Station Rd scheme on Tuesday, 22nd March 2005, however I did not realise this, and whilst taking some other pictures elsewhere in Derby on the 23rd, I met Roger, who told me that it had indeed restarted, so I went to have a look. As I walked down Station Rd, I noticed that the first column featured on Page 6 and the next one along the road had been removed.

Luckily, I had photographed the latter column in late 2004 after work had ceased:

The seal around the lampholder had failed, allowing moisture to enter the Opticell.

The HIAB was parked up at where the column next to that had been and the team were busy fitting directional signs to the new column. I had also managed to photograph this column before it was removed. The Opticell on this one looked to be in perfect condition.

The now familiar sight of a Civic 2 mounted post-top on a 10 m column, on the ground. These lanterns use Zodion SS3DR cells instead of the Monostar 1000s, and Radium lamps instead of the GE ones.

As soon as the signs were pointing in the right directions, the column was lifted up- making sure that the overhead telephone line stayed well out of the way at all times!

As soon as the signs were pointing in the right directions, the column was lifted up- making sure that the overhead telephone line stayed well out of the way at all times!

Once the column was in the hole, it was turned until the door pointed directly forwards.

The column was secured in the ground and the lantern wired up into the cutout. Doug was given the job of spraying the number onto the column shaft. To ensure that the number stencils all line up, they are slid into a piece of wood with a groove cut in it.


Links to the other Station Rd pages:

Photographs of the replacements:


Other information about or involving the Station Rd replacement scheme:

  


BACK TO INDEX PAGE

CLICK HERE TO MAKE A MONETARY DONATION

© 2002 - English Street Lights Online